Andina Copper Mine
Los Andes, Chile
Located 80 km north-east of Santiago in northern Chile, the Andina mine is the fourth largest copper mine in the world (by reserves). Owned and operated by Chile's state-owned Codelco (Corporacion Nacional del Cobre de Chile), the copper deposit was discovered in 1920 and mining began in 1970. Currently, quantities of seawater are brought to the mine through a network of pipes and concrete tanks to help reduce dust in the mining operations.
A combination of PENECRETE MORTAR and PENETRON crystalline material was applied to fill and repair the cracks in the concrete structures anchoring the steel pipelines that funnel seawater to the mine, and the concrete water storage tanks.